Roy Jo Sartin, M.A.
Roy Jo Sartin, M.A.
Roy Jo Sartin (M.A. History, UCCS, 2008; B.A. History, Texas Tech University, 1997) is a cultural historian who teaches courses in ancient and medieval European history, women’s history, and mythologies. In 2015, she received the Outstanding Teaching Award for part-time instructors from the College of LAS.
Areas of Interest
Fields: Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome; Early to High Medieval Europe; Women’s History; Mythologies
Research Interests: History in Popular Culture; Intersections of History and Fandom Studies; Egyptomania>
- HIST 1010: The Ancient World
- HIST 1050: Mythologies of Europe
- HIST 3010: Women in Classical Antiquity
- HIST 3140: King Arthur from History to Myth
- HIST 3160: History of Ancient Egypt
- HIST 4110: Early Medieval Europe
- HIST 4120: The Twelfth Century Renaissance
- HIST 4140: Women in Medieval Europe
- HIST 4990: Senior Thesis
- "Egyptomania as a fandom (or two): How fanon became canon in the world’s oldest fandom." Participations: Journal of Audience & Reception Studies 18, issue 2 (2021): 159-186.
- "Egyptomania 2.0: How Fanon Replaced Canon in the World's Oldest Fandom," Popular Culture Association Conference, 2020.
- “Represent! Why Representation in Popular Culture Matters.” Denver Pop Culture Con, 2019.
- “Performing Egyptomania as Egypt: Conflating the Text with its Fandom in our Popular Imagination.” Pacific Ancient and Modern Languages Association Conference, 2018.
- “The Hero in All of Us: Empowering Students through the Modern Mythologies of Moana, Black Panther, and Sherlock Holmes.” Denver Comic Con, 2018.
- “‘You Could Save the World’: Using Wonder Woman to Teach History, Past and Present.” Denver Comic Con, 2018.
- "The NRI with the Heart of Hindustani Gold: How Romantic Leads Negotiate Tradition and Modernity in Post-Globalization Bollywood." Society for the Interdisciplinary Study of Social Imagery Conference, 2014.
- "Isis Writes: Epistolary Portraits of Women's Empowered Identity in Roman Egypt." Southwestern Social Science Association Meeting, 2013. "Not a Savior but a Safety Net: Doctor Who as the Ultimate Outsider Philosopher-King." Society for the Interdisciplinary Study of Social Imagery Conference, 2013.
- "Love & Marriage in Bollywood: Traditional Values Meet Modern Sensibilities in Post-Globalization Popular Indian Cinema." Tenth Annual Women's and Gender History Symposium, 2009.